10 Tips For A Healthy Sleep
Getting enough sleep improves your overall health. These tips can help you sleep better.
- Get up at the same time every day… and get up early. Doing this every day, even on weekends, sets your biological clock. It’s the most important change you can make to improve your sleep!
- Exercise! … But not right before bed. Exercise stimulates us, which can make it hard to sleep afterwards. Avoid exercise 2 to 3 hours before bed.
- Avoid late naps. Napping late in the day can disrupt your nighttime sleep. If you do nap, do so before 2:00 p.m.
- Only go to bed when you are sleepy. Going to bed before you are drowsy is a common mistake. Only go to bed when you’re tired enough to fall asleep within 15 minutes.
- Create a bedtime routine. Create a routine that lets you get everything done an hour before bed and then wind down gradually.
- Relax before going to bed. Your body needs to be relaxed to fall asleep. Plan an hour of calming activities, like meditation, colouring, or reading before you sleep.
- Take racing thoughts to another room… Rather than stay in bed, take your worries to a comfortable place where you can sit and relax.
- …And clear your mind. To help to clear your mind, write down what your worry is, how you will address it, and when you will do it.
- Talk to your doctor about snoring. Snoring can be a sign of obstructive sleep apnea. If you do snore, talk to your doctor.
- Use your CPAP device. If you do have obstructive sleep apnea, make sure you use your CPAP device! Left untreated, obstructive sleep apnea damages your brain and heart.