This casserole provides all the flavour of cabbage rolls without the work of rolling them!
Recipe and photo provided by CanolaInfo.org ©
8 servings / 45 min
Prep 5 min / Cook 40 min
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) canola oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb (500 g) extra lean ground sirloin
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground black pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped cabbage
- 1 can (796 mL/28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) long grain brown rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) sodium-reduced vegetable or beef broth
- In large skillet with lid, heat canola oil over medium. Sauté onions and garlic about 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef. Brown about 5 minutes over medium-high heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add cabbage, tomatoes, rice and broth and stir well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes or until rice is tender. If preferred instead, after bringing mixture to a boil, bake in oven-proof skillet with lid in 180 °C (350 °F) oven for about 40 minutes.