Here’s a recipe that is popular with kids. You’ll want to make a double batch of these tasty home-made treats because guaranteed to have your family asking for more!
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp (15 mL)water
- 3/4 cup (175 mL)bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup (175 mL)grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL)salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL)dried thyme
- 1 tbsp (15 mL)dried basil
Apricot Zing Dunking Sauce:
- 1 cup (250 mL)apricot jam or peach jam
- ¼ cup prepared mustard
- ½ tsp garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
3. Trim any excess fat from chicken breasts, and cut into 1½ inch (4 cm) pieces. In a medium bowl, beat together eggs and water. Place chicken pieces in egg mixture, stirring to coat.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese, salt, thyme and basil. Mix well. Pour this mixture into a large re-sealable plastic bag. Using a slotted spoon to let extra egg mixture drain, transfer chicken pieces, a few at a time, from the egg mixture into the bag. When all chicken pieces have been transferred, close the bag and shake it until all pieces are well-coated with the bread crumb mixture. Discard leftover egg and coating mixtures.
5. Place coated chicken pieces on prepared baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, turn the pieces, and bake another 10 minutes.Nuggets should reach an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
6. Serve warm, with Apricot Zing Dunking Sauce.
Apricot Zing Dunking Sauce
1. Whisk all ingredients together well and top with parsley or curled green onion tails to garnish.